Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Why Do People Do Stupid Things During Emergencies?



This is a serious question.

You know why?...because if I ask you right now…what would you do if your car burst into flames ,you would likely say stuff like ..
“I will get sand to quench the fire”
“I will use the fire extinguisher”
Blah , blah blah…

 But you know what?
During real emergency situation, you will likely not  act logically. .. in fact ,you could act like a crazy fool.

During emergencies , it seems like our brains just goes blank like a crashed computer .
If you have ever been in an emergency situation you will agree with me.
I can say so from my own experience.

For example ..I had an emergency situation this morning .

Around 8 a.m , I heard a scream from my next door neighbor.
As I rushed out of my apartment  toward hers …
Behold ,a small fire was raging angrily from  the power change-over that was located 1 foot from the side of her door and 8 feet from the floor.

I looked at the fire for a few seconds as other neighbors rushed out to see what the matter was. I immediately went back inside and grabbed my brown chinos trousers.
I was not planning to wear it. I was going to use it to put out the fire.
My friend ,Elijah, went back inside and got a bucket of water and was about to throw it at the electric-caused fire.

One of the neighbors screamed and reminded him that he might get shocked.
That is when I immediately , stepped out ,scooped wet sand from the ground and threw on the fire.

That hand full of sand did the job.

As we stood there looking at the charred remains of the wires and plastic power change over device ,  we laughed at our self for acting stupidly ,
…but this was no joke.
 My friend and I were about to do 2 fatal and stupid things.

But this really got me thinking ...why the hell do we act crazy in situations like this?

I think i have an idea why...but i love to hear your opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for that. It really got my mind on what I need to be thinking like for my essay at school about emergencies. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete